Kidney stones, or renal calculi, are solid masses made of crystals. Kidney stones usually originate in your kidneys. However, they can develop anywhere along your urinary tract, which consists of these parts:
Kidney stones are one of the most painful medical conditions.
- Urine retention in general or during sex
- Low intake of fluid , dehydration by exposure to direct sunlight eg:bike ride
- a diet with high levels of protein, salt, or glucose
- Thyroid problem
- gastric bypass surgery
- Increased intake of calcium supplements , whey protein etc
- Failing to chew the food and just swallowing can cause kidney stone
- Normally we all consume about 30 gm salt per day whereas only 5 to 6gm per day is recommended in diet.
- Mono sodium glutamate-MSG,Sodium bicarbonate-baking soda
- Sodium alginate
- Sodium nitrate
- and other variants of sodium, which needs to be shunned out of dietary plans.
Consumption of carbonated drinks make the body turn acidic and to counteract, the phosphates from the bones leave their calcium counterparts, which gets eliminated through urine. The excreted urine has high levels of calcium to form crystals in kidney.
The nature of kidney stones vary according to the type of stone.
Calcium stones are often made of calcium oxalate. Eating high oxalate-rich foods have proved to increase the risk of developing this type of stone. High-oxalate foods are :
- potato chips
- Cashew nuts
- spinach etc
Note: But methods like Fermentation, cooking and soaking overnight removes the oxalate and phytate contents. Nuts can be soaked overnight before eating. When Spinaches like pasalai keerai and tomato is cooked properly the oxalate content is removed.
This type of kidney stone can occur in people with gout or those going through chemotherapy. This type of stone develops when urine is too acidic. diet rich in purines can increase urine’s acidic level. Purine is a colorless substance in animal proteins, such as fish, beer,shellfish, and meats etc
Keep yourself hydrated with water , don’t post-pond to expel your Urine in urgencies . steam bath weekly once to cleanse out your excess Uric acid via sweat.
This type of stone is found mostly in women with urinary tract infections (UTIs). These stones can be large and cause urinary obstruction. They result from a kidney infection. Treating an underlying infection can prevent the development of struvite stones.
Cystine stones are rare. They occur in both men and women who have the genetic disorder cystinuria. With this type of stone, cystine — an acid that occurs naturally in the body — leaks from the kidneys into the urine.
Oil bath with sesame oil applied whole body ( weekly once ) can help over come cystinuria conditions by bringing the body temperature down .
Symptoms of kidney stones can include:
- Blood in urine (red, pink, or brown urine)
- discolored or foul smelling Urine
- Frequent need to urinate
- urinating small amounts of urine
- In the case of a small kidney stone, you may not have any pain or symptoms as the stone passes through your urinary tract.
Risk factors :
Passage of stones down the ureter can cause spasms and irritation of the ureters as they pass. This causes blood to appear in the urine. Sometimes stones block the flow of urine. This is called a urinaty obstruction . Urinary obstructions can lead to kidney infection and kidney damage.
Siddha treatment for kidney stone :
According to the size , location of the stone , Nadi , physique etc multi herbal formulations are given to treat its root cause (ruling out thyroid / dietary plans and life style ) detoxification,diuretic medications , coolant herbs , are given to cleanse out the renal sone through Urine . Which may not reoccur again treating the root cause and balancing the nadi ( thridodha- vatha•pitha•kapha)